Lars Von Trier Condemned By Cannes Over Nazi Remarks

Director of 'Melancholia,' starring Kirsten Dunst, apologizes for sympathetic comments about Adolf Hitler made on Wednesday.
By Gil Kaufman


Lars Von Trier
Photo: Vittorio Zunino Celotto/ Getty Images

Just a day after making controversial remarks in which he claimed to be a Nazi and appeared to sympathize with reviled Third Reich leader Adolf Hitler, Danish director Lars von Trier has been condemned by the Cannes Film Festival and banned from the annual European awards fest.

After getting mostly positive reviews for his new Kirsten Dunst-starring film, "Melancholia," the provocative director earned strong condemnation for a rambling, offensive press conference on Wednesday in which he made odd remarks about his thoughts on Hitler, Israel and being a Nazi.

"The Festival de Cannes provides artists from around the world with an exceptional forum to present their works and defend freedom of expression and creation. The festival's Board of Directors, which held an extraordinary meeting this Thursday, 19 May 2011, profoundly regrets that this forum has been used by Lars von Trier to express comments that are unacceptable, intolerable and contrary to the ideals of humanity and generosity that preside over the very existence of the festival," read a statement from the festival released on Thursday (May 19).

"The Board of Directors firmly condemns these comments and declares Lars von Trier a persona non grata at the Festival de Cannes, with effect immediately."

The unprecedented move of banning the director, whose Björk-starring "Dancer in the Dark" took the festival's top prize in 2000, did not, however, appear to mean that Von Trier's movie was being booted from contention. According to The Associated Press, the statement did not specify whether "Melancholia" had been pulled from competition for prizes, which will be handed out at Sunday's closing ceremony.

"The only thing I can tell you is that I thought I was a Jew for a long time and was very happy being a Jew ... but it turned out that I was not a Jew. If I'd been a Jew, then I would be a second-wave Jew, a kind of a new-wave Jew, but anyway, I really wanted to be a Jew and then I found out that I was really a Nazi, because my family is German," Von Trier said to a stunned audience on Wednesday, with Dunst sitting silently by his side. "And that also gave me some pleasure. So, I, what can I say? I understand Hitler. I think he did some wrong things but I can see him sitting in his bunker. I'm saying that I think I understand the man. He is not what we could call a good guy, but yeah, I understand much about him and I sympathize with him."

He later claimed to be joking, but the damage had been done.

Von Trier released a tepid apology a short time later, saying he was sorry if he "hurt someone" with his remarks and said he is not anti-Semitic or racially prejudiced and is not, in fact, a Nazi.

Related Videos

Source: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1664187/lars-von-trier-adolf-hitler-nazi-cannes.jhtml

Paulina Rubio Paz Vega Penélope Cruz Pink Piper Perabo

Actress Sara Rue & Kevin Price Tie The Knot

Actress Sara Rue & Kevin Price Tie The Knot

  Actress Sara Rue has wed her boyfriend Kevin Prince.  Read more about Sara Rue’s wedding details here! Sara Rue, who recently lost over 50 lbs. on the Jenny Craig program, married her boyfriend Kevin Price at the Bel-Air Bay Club in Pacific Palisades, California on Saturday. The actress and college consultant married in front [...]

Actress Sara Rue & Kevin Price Tie The Knot Stupid Celebrities GossipStupid Celebrities Gossip News


Source: http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/stupidcelebrities/~3/qOnxXW1Qm4U/

Nichole Robinson Nicky Hilton Nicole Richie Nicole Scherzinger Nicollette Sheridan

Oscar De La Hoya Checks Into Rehab

TMZ is reporting that boxing superstar Oscar De La Hoya has checked into rehab. He reportedly entered a facility in California recently, exactly when is not clear. The 38-year-old former boxer is said to be seeking help for issues related to substance abuse. It seems that so many celebrities of late have found themselves walking into that rehab door. As TMZ pointed out, the Golden Boy posted some tweets yesterday that were somewhat reflective: ‘Stop finding excuses not to live.life is controlled by what you make of it and not of what it makes you.’ Shortly after the above tweet, the next one was posted: ‘Take a deep breathe (sic) and let out all that anger that makes you hate.it really is going to be o.k.’ Oscar and his wife Millie were wed 10 years ago and have two children together, a son, Oscar Jr, who is 5, and a daughter, Nina, age 3. De La Hoya took a savage beating in the last fight of his career against the Filipino phenom, Manny Pacquiao, in December of 2008. It was a difficult fight to watch, and it was stopped in the 8th round. While he was the favorite to win, [...]

Source: http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/RightCelebrity/~3/Jj8pFXj7lwQ/

Radha Mitchell Raquel Alessi Rebecca Mader

'American Idol' In 60 Seconds: Scotty And Lauren Sing To The End

Watch our second-to-last recap of the season, or, if you prefer, our last before the world ends.
By Jim Cantiello


Haley Reinhart is eliminated on "American Idol"
Photo: FOX

There's only one week left of "American Idol" season 10 (or one day before the end of the world), so if you have some last-minute cramming to do before the end, we suggest looking back at our previous "Idol" in 60 Seconds recaps. For now, here's the script rounding up everything you need to know about how America said goodbye to Haley and voted two country singers into the finale:

This week the top three got to sing three songs each, but in three rounds, two hours and nine songs, only two minutes mattered.

[Clip: Beyoncé's "Who Rule the World (Girls)" video.]

No, not Beyoncé's video, although ... [Jim grabs a personal recording device, speaks into it] Note to self: Memorize Beyoncé's dance moves before the world ends this Saturday.

Where was I? Oh, right! Haley Reinhart, whose Led Zeppelin cover was a groundbreaking collaboration with her dad AND with gravity!

But then things went from great to good to god awful, while Scotty and Lauren kept things country strong. Well, country able.

Hey, judges! Care to make this night all about you?

[Montage of judges: Randy: "I produced the version of it with Boyz II Men." J. Lo: "I was just performing to 20,000 people." Steven: "Lee Ann's a good friend of mine, too."]

You guys are in it to w... waste time.

On Thursday night's results show ... that's not Rihanna [showing Nicole Scherzinger's performance]. That's not Il Divo [showing Il Volo's performance].

I dare you to make this more unpleasant.

[Clip of Elle Fanning squealing during her interview with Seacrest.]

And hometown visits, where Haley fought the rain, Lauren's mom fought for screen time and Scotty fought the waterworks. But wait, did that bitch just steal a girl's donut?!!

[Clip: Lauren Alaina makes it to the finale with Scotty.]

Oh, America. You have no taste. OK, that's not fair. You do have taste ... for baby food!

Ding!

Don't miss "Idol Party Live" every Thursday at noon on MTV.com for analysis, celebrity guests and even some karaoke — get in the conversation by tweeting with the hashtag #idolparty! In the meantime, get your "Idol" fix on MTV News' "American Idol" page, where you'll find all the latest news, interviews and opinions.

Related Videos Related Photos

Source: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1664266/american-idol-recap-results-scotty-mccreery-haley-reinhart.jhtml

Pink Piper Perabo Poppy Montgomery Portia de Rossi Rachael Leigh Cook

Will 'Twilight Saga' Star Jamie Campbell Bower Join 'Mortal Instruments'?

Bower, 'Eragon' actor Ed Speleers and newcomer Leebo Freeman reportedly are in the running for the role of Jace Wayland.
By Eric Ditzian


Jamie Campbell Bower
Photo: Elisabetta A. Villa/ WireImage

Last week when Lily Collins stopped by the MTV Newsroom, the 22-year-old "Mortal Instruments" star apologized to fans that the casting of her onscreen love interest — the strong-headed Jace Wayland — had stretched on so long and promised that they'd eventually find the right guy.

According to a new report from TheWrap, the fight to become that "right guy" is now down to three actors: Jamie Campbell Bower (of the "Twilight Saga" films), Ed Speleers ("Eragon") and newcomer Leebo Freeman. All three hopefuls reportedly tested with Collins late last week on the Sony Pictures lot.

A rep for Screen Gems, the studio behind the project, told MTV News, "We have no comment other than we are actively casting." Our requests for comments from the actors' reps were not immediately returned.

Back in January, Alex Pettyfer ("I Am Number Four") appeared to be the front-runner for the role of Jace, with reports even suggesting that he'd been offered the part. But nothing solid was nailed down, and now some new names have entered the mix.

"It's been a long process," Collins admitted to us last week. "In the process of casting something like this, where the characters are so pivotal and people are so enthusiastic, we don't want to do it wrong. If you rush it, people aren't as happy. Or you take the time and really seek out the right person to play the role.

"I totally understand everyone wanting to know right away, and I do too — I'm as excited as everyone else," she added. "I'm an avid fan and reader. But there's no way to speed up a process when we want to do it right."

Do you think Bower is a good choice for the Jace role? Share your opinions in the comments.

For young Hollywood news, fashion and "Twilight" updates around the clock, visit HollywoodCrush.MTV.com.

Source: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1664006/mortal-instruments-jamie-campbell-bower.jhtml

Marley Shelton Mary Elizabeth Winstead Megan Ewing Megan Fox Melania Trump

Justin Bieber, Selena Gomez Surprise Indie Act Ernie Halter At His Show

'All I can say is wow,' Halter tweeted after Bieber took the stage with the singer/songwriter.
By Jocelyn Vena


Ernie Halter
Photo: Ernie Halter

When Ernie Halter put out a call to arms on his Twitter account for fans to come out to his O.C. show, he probably had no idea that one very famous fan would take him up on the offer. On Thursday night, when Halter played at La Cave Restaurant in Costa Mesa, California, he was surprised by Justin Bieber. The Biebs, who brought gal pal Selena Gomez as his date, even took the stage with the singer/songwriter.

"@justinbieber Now get some rest. I still can't believe you flew 11 hrs and drove an hour to surprise me. Wow. So honored. @justinbieber great meeting u & @selenagomez tonight. Def a night to remember. Thank you for the encouragement & for singing with me," Halter wrote on Twitter.

Bieber has covered Halter's track "Come Home to Me" in his own shows, and on Thursday night he sang the tune right alongside the singer, much to Halter's amazement.

"I'm speechless. @justinbieber and @selenagomez came to see me play tonight and Justin sat in. All I can say is wow," he wrote. "@scooterbraun Great meeting you and Karen tonight. What an awesome surprise! Rest up and hope to cross paths again soon. Cheers! @selenagomez you and Justin are so sweet. Pleasure meeting you both. I saw you singing along to my songs. Made my night that much better."

Bieber's manager, Scooter Braun, also used Twitter to gush about the night. "I love surprises. We drove an hour out of LA to surprise @erniehalter at his gig. #awesome," he wrote.

Bieber also sent his love and support to Halter on the site. "@erniehalter thanks for the night. Glad we could surprise u. U r the real deal. Congrats to u and the wife. And ... @erniehalter Never Say Never aint no BS. Haha. Thanks again," he wrote. "Music is universal. #artistssupportartists #SWAG"

Related Artists

Source: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1664261/justin-bieber-ernie-halter-cover-performance.jhtml

Larissa Meek Laura Harring Laura Prepon Lauren Bush Lauren Conrad

Usher To Donate Gadhafi Money To Charity

'I will be donating all of my personal proceeds...to various human rights organizations,' singer says of concert linked to Libyan dictator.
By Shawn Adler


Usher (file)
Photo: Getty Images

R&B superstar Usher announced Friday (March 4) that he was donating to various charities proceeds from appearing at a private event at St. Barts linked to Libyan dictator Moammar Gadhafi, according to a statement made to the Associated Press.

The Grammy award winner's renouncement comes after similar announcements from singers Mariah Carey, Nelly Furtado, and Beyoncé, all of whom were revealed to have performed at private concerts linked to the Middle Eastern leader, who has faced open revolt and major political uprisings since February.

"I am sincerely troubled to learn about the circumstances surrounding the Nikki Beach St. Bart's event that took place on New Year's Eve 2009," Usher said of the concert, at which he appeared alongside Beyoncé but did not perform. "I will be donating all of my personal proceeds from that event to various human rights organizations."

Usher has already begun the process, having made a donation to Amnesty International, the AP reports. The exact size of the donation is not known.

The New Year's Eve gig was reportedly for Moammar's fourth son Muastassim, who an unnamed music industry source told MTV News has a history of throwing lavish parties "jammed" with supermodels.

Beyoncé, who sang at the event, donated all proceeds from her performance to the Clinton-Bush Haiti Fund, established in the wake of the Haitian earthquake.

"All monies paid to Beyoncé for her performance at a private party at Nikki Beach St. Barts on New Year's Eve 2009, including the commissions paid to her booking agency, were donated to the earthquake relief efforts for Haiti over a year ago," the "Halo" singer's publicist said in a statement to The Huffington Post. "Once it became known that the third-party promoter was linked to the Qaddafi family, the decision was made to put that payment to a good cause."

Singer Nelly Furtado tweeted February 28 that she plans to make similar amends.

"In 2007, I received 1million$ from the Gadhafi clan to perform a 45 min. show for guests at a hotel in Italy," she tweeted. "I am going to donate the $."

The leader of Libya since a successful military coup in 1969, Gadhafi has reportedly lost control of much of his country as a result of widespread uprisings. The United Nations voted unanimously to refer the dictator to the International Criminal Court for crimes against humanity.

Related Artists

Source: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1659301/usher-donate-gadhafi-money-charity.jhtml

Kristy Swanson Kylie Bax Lacey Chabert Laetitia Casta Lake Bell

WWE Pays Tribute To Randy Savage

WWE has paid tribute to Randy ‘Macho Man’ Savage, saying the wrestling legend will be “greatly missed”. After the 58-year-old champion was killed yesterday when he suffered a heart attack at the wheel of his car – of which his wife of just over a year Lynn Payne was also a passenger, but escaped with [...]

Source: http://www.celebritymound.com/wwe-pays-tribute-to-randy-savage/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=wwe-pays-tribute-to-randy-savage

Leslie Bibb Lil Kim Lily Allen Lindsay Lohan Lindsay Price